- Full name: Michael Edward Mills
- Parents: Franklin and Adora Mills.
- Siblings: brother Mitchell Mills
- Date of birth: 17 December 1958
- Place of birth: Orange County, California, U.S.
- Education: Mount de Sales Academy in Macon GA, where he was a star student. Dropped out of the University of Georgia to focus on his music career.
- Right- or left-handed: right-handed
- Height: 5ft 10in (178cm)
- Eye colour: brown
- Hair colour: natural – light brown; nowadays, bleached (and probably greying)
- Trademarks: glasses, nudie suits, cowboy hats, crooked teeth (nice smile though!)
- His role in R.E.M.: singer, multi-instrumentalist, songwriter, arranger, producer
- Instruments: bass guitar, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, banjo, piano, organ, various synthesisers, dulcimer, accordion, harmonica, percussion, saxophone, sousaphone, tuba etc.
- Voice type: lyric tenor
- His favoruite bass guitar: Throughout his career Mike has played a variety of guitars; the earliest remembered is the vintage see-through Ampeg Dan Armstrong bass, as seen on the cover of R.E.M.’s Best Of I.R.S. Years compilation. In the early days of R.E.M. Mike was mostly associated with a b/w Rickenbacker 4001, but in the mid-1980s he switched to Fender Precision, which has since been his preferred model
- His favourite bass strings: Dean Markley Nickel Steel Bass Medium round wounds
- His favourite bass picks: Dean Markley extra-heavy triangular picks
- Interests (aside from music): sports (baseball, basketball, golf, tennis…), politics, social activism, nice cars, going out & partying
- Residence(s): Athens, GA and Los Angeles, CA
- Sexual orientation: straight
- Relationship status: unknown
- Children: son Julian Mills, born in 1989
- Zodiac sign: Sagittarius (Ascendant Aquarius, Moon in Pisces)
- Chinese Zodiac sign: Dog
- How other people describe Mike: clever, upbeat, affable, well-read, straightforward, outspoken, perfectionist, loves to sleep
- His favourite R.E.M. albums: Murmur, Lifes Rich Pageant, Automatic For The People, Reveal
Franklin Mills died in 2001; in his honour, the family founded the Franklin H. Mills Scholarship in Voice Fund (more info, plus a photo of the Mills clan here). The family has also established the Adora Mills Scholarship for University of Georgia School of Music students
After Franklin’s death, Adora Mills married William Powers Jr.; he died in 2009